Story of 2006 – updated December 22, 2006Posted by sk in Blogroll, Just Posts, Miscellaneous.
So, 2007 is a few days away. First of all, anybody have any resolution for 2007? Getting together with an old flame? Eating fire? Finally deciding to pay for mp3 songs? Starring in a porn movie? Becoming the next Baba Sehgal? Losing your virginity? Going on a blind date? This is not a list of my resolutions, by the way, it’s just something to help you come up with yours.
Now, coming to the topic of this post, what, in your opinion, was the most defining moment of 2006 or was there none? Here’s my list:
1. Italy wins the WC
2. Federer has an amazing year.
3. Indian hockey plunges to new depths.
4. Warne retires.
5. Google and Apple continue to grow.
6. More and more people join social networking sites and/or start blogs.
7. Riya Sen and Ashmit Patel make waves.
I can’t remember anything else so I’ll update this list when I can. I also call upon the other Sparks! members to add stories to this list (with your display name in brackets) or in the comments section.
Update by Parmanu
I wanted to do a very similar post, but looks like somehow the idea was leaked. Anyway, I will briefly go over my resolution and my top favorite stories.
1. Tell Himesh Reshamiyya on his face to stop singing not to mention stop acting
2. Be as fluent in German as Adolf Hitler (Right now I am at par with his dog)
3. Be on one of the 10 planned NASA space-shuttle mission for next
4. Have two girls kiss me on either of my cheeks at the same time
5. Come up with equally good 2008 resolutions
So as you can see I have very reasonable and near-in-sight goals. Thats how I am. Never a big dreamer.
Now my favorite stories
1. Pramod Mahajan shot dead
2. I turned 27. (This was the age when Yuri Gagrain rose to fame by being first man in space. Newton was 4 years younger when he formulated his graviation laws. So was Bhagat singh when he was hanged. Pascal would retire from his all scientific contrubutions in 2 years and Ramanujam would die in 5). Just a list of few people on the top of my head who makes me feel I have achieved SO MUCH.
3. India declares manned mission to space
4. Sanjay Dutt, who enlightened us to Gandhism, (I refuse to use ‘Gandhigiri’) convicted for possesion of arms.
5. Iran hosts a Holocaust Conference (Primarily to promote holocaust denial theory)
Updated by planetsk
Before this year ends, I want India to win their first ever Test series in SA. Hopefully, Indians don’t disappoint me as they did through out the year.
Here are a few things that I think I spent sometime watching, reading, following and thinking about them this year.
Sports come first:
– Italy winning FIFA-WC..I was supporting Germany..disappointed a bit.
– Agassi’s farewell, Federer redefining tennis, Sania becoming more of a celebrity than a player.
– Ganguly dada’s return to Indian team, Warne’s retirement (one of my fav.bowlers of all-time), SA’s record run chasing win over Aus and 20-20 version of cricket.
– Followed baseball for the very first time.
– ISRO’s space mission, successful Discovery’s landing and Pluto’s lost status ( how does this affect astrology?)
– Global warming and Al Gore’s Inconvenient Truth ( I see this effect in MN…..just kidding..but there is no snow yet in MN which is weird)
-Thanks to MS for finally getting something to think about other than iPod
-IBM et al creating “phase change” material for memory chips
-Google aiming high in the market.
-Infosys getting added to NASDAQ-100
-Intel losing market share to AMD
– SPARKS ENGR’S Blog – A great platform to express one’s opinions.
– Laloo getting attention all over the world.
– BORAT and new Bond
– No big hits for SRK
-Ash and Abhishek, Riya and Ashmit
– Indian economy rising purely due to IT and cheap labor.
– Hezabollah’s rocket launches and Israel’s fightback
If I think of any more, I’ll update.
No resolutions at all for 2007….thats a resolution by itself.